Nuffnang Ads

Monday, September 30, 2013

SK: Dakgalbi and Korean Fried Chicken @ Myeongdong

As Spring comes back to Perth, I am filled with the good memories winter in Seoul had.  The food for sure was  a highlight with the big city so rich in culture.  No amalgamation of the Korean restaurants in any cities can replicate the quality of the food I had or even just the variety itself seems impossible.

 

One of the nights, we went to Yoogane for what seems to be the most popular Dakgalbi or Spicy Chicken rice in Myeongdong.  It was superb! OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAThe chicken was a mix of spicy, salty and sweet with generous bits of kimchee and cabbage all tossed in a cheesy rice.  The outcome was a savory delight.  This is a winter fighter that is surely to make you sweat.  Little bits of rice that crisped up as you go make great bite for that last bit of enjoyment.  Definitely a winner by all accounts.  In fact, XL still craves for it every now and then but there is no real contender in Perth :(!  Funny how the chicken pieces which tended to be dryer than usual did not bother me even the slightest bit!

 

If the Dakgalbi is too spicy, feel free to have unlimited serves of their cabbage salad.  Super yums :)! If anything else is noteworthy, I would say that you should prepare to stink as the chicken sizzles in front of you!!OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

 

 

Our last night’s supper here was not one which will get a tick of approval from the Heart Foundation.  From a tick off is more likely.  But who cares?  This is TwoTwo Fried Chicken in MyeongdongOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAEvery culture has their own fried chicken.  And so do the Koreans.  It is super crispy with all the salty-peppery seasoning to complement it.

 

We had two orders that night.  One was the original and the other was the garlic one.  We both preferred the original one over the garlic chicken.  It was just good old fried chicken as is.  The garlic one was way too garlicky for our liking.  A bloody fragrant bite but the raw garlic taste might be a little over the top!OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERASome nights, I go to bed thinking about fried chicken.  When I do, I wake up happy.. and hungry.  At least after this meal, I can tick the Korean fried chicken of my bucket list!

 

People might ask me whether KFC is better or perhaps the good old Japanese Kaarage or even Malaysian fried chicken which has like 10000 variants.  First things first, fried chicken beats steamed chicken anytime.  But when it comes to different fried chicken, everyone will have a different say.  For me, I love my fried chicken and the one at TwoTwo was really good.  In fact, it was fantastic.  But each fried chicken has its own merits making me like most, if not all of them

WenY