Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Holidays at Home: Back in Malaysia.

I reckon 2011 is the year which I have been away from home the longest. 11 months to be exact.  I have been home for a week now and boy life has been pretty interesting. Ok, not quite that considering how much I’ve been doing nothing but rolling in my bed!  Nevertheless, the comfort of home never leaves me dissatisfied.  Factor in the yummylicious hawker style food and roast, and damn its good!  Over the weekends mom brought me out for lunch in the city.  Located on Peel Street, this stall is one of the more unhygienic places to dine but then again, it is these sort of restaurants that keeps the culinary scene in Malaysia authentic and unpretentious.  Operated by a crew of elderly woman, parents and I feasted on some of the tastiest morsels of chicken feet and meat roast served with authentic ‘oily rice’.

IMG_0914

The BBQ Pork or Char Siew is one of the roast meat that is almost NEVER good back in Perth.  Often served smothered in honey, I’m totally left speechless with the reinterpretation of this meat roast in Perth.  Putting disappointments aside, this Peel road specialty is definitely one of the best ones in KL.  With its outer bit slightly charred, it is crunchy on its outer bit with a melt in your mouth layer of lard.  Taste wise, sweetness is not overpowering and is instead very tasty as a whole.  Yums!  But I do have to say, it gets a little scary after awhile.  The fat is not exactly the healthiest thing either haha.  But still a damn good eat!

 

IMG_0916

The chicken feet was another highly recommended dish by my parents that day.  Even my sister thought the chicken feet here is absolutely yummy! I thought so too! The chicken feet here is braised until everything just falls of the bone effortlessly.  Its sauce was soy based giving it a salty finish but that did not quite satisfy me as I was hoping for another taste not just saltiness.  Nevertheless, chicken feet fans should definitely give this place a try!

 

IMG_0918

Lastly the roast pork was another dish here which was totally kickass.  As always, the requirement for a good roast pork includes defined layers of meat with a well marinated bottom layer finished with a crispy skin which carries a good crunch.  And if its in Perth, the quality of pork is always questionable as the meat are sometimes a little porky which can be a turn off!  Again, this is another Peel road specialty which gets me drooling even as I am typing now.

 

When we were done with the food, the total bill came up to Rm35 including drinks and 3 serves of rice.  Nothing beats such value and it is these sort of places where the make or break comes purely from the quality of its food,  not from the ambience or whatsoever.  I am totally a sucker for this place now.  Coming NYE, perhaps a swim at the clubhouse would be a good start to the morning before having lunch here! *drool* *drool*!

 

HK and Taiwan in 1 weeks time.  But before that, sometime with the darling and her family in her hometown! HOLIDAYS! RWARRR!

 

WenY