Nuffnang Ads

Monday, July 19, 2010

Bites: Sofia’s @ Camberwell (Melbourne)

IMG_6791On the weekend of my arrival and just after one day with 300 bucks being spent, I cannot blame myself if I am feeling stingy right? ehehe.  On a side note, I remember getting my Lacoste shoes before heading off to dinner on the weekends with my college mates and friends.  Bright red it is :D!

 

For dinner, my friends decided to bring us to this place called Camberwell just a few train stops from the city.   Being a stranger in this bustling city, I willingly followed and to my joy we were up to something really cheap which is not stingy on serving and taste.  We went to Sofia’s which had plenty of seats yet they were all occupied.  Seeing the menu, I had absolutely no problem understanding the patrons choice.  The Lee family calls it C & G which simply stands for cheap and good!  True enough it really was!!  But if you are looking for something more authentic this might not be for you.

 

IMG_6793We started of with this really large crusty pizza overloaded with cheese and a garlicky after taste!  This monster was at least 30 cm in diameter.

 

IMG_6794Sofia’s offer what they called a Pasta for two which allows you to choose three type of pasta on one large platter.  This was my choice called Spaghetti Sofia’s which has prawns, bacons and ooh the ever so delicious scallops! Slurps!!

 

IMG_6795The Lasagne was the other choice of my companions that night! And we had a serve of gnocchi in the middle!  This was by far the cheapest pasta I have ever eaten.  And this is even cheaper than the pasta in the university’s ref.  And the uni pasta sucks!  Always overcooked and never al dente.

 

IMG_6796This was the seafood misto that we ordered to share as well.  Loaded with crumbled calamari, scallops, prawns and fish, this was the meal you know you had to share.   And that went down well with us considering we had a large group of 8 people!  For this dish, I felt that it was pretty fresh considering none of it had the foul seafood stench.  And it was well fried.  I mean you have to consider the price and time taken to serve you right? ehehe. :D!!

 

After failing to finish just these three ala carte dishes plus another pizza, we were curious to try what seems to be a popular dessert,  and I only can describe it as an abomination of ice creams.

IMG_6802Pistachio, water melon, orange, lemon, chocolate and mint all stacked into a humungous tower!  Nothing to shout about thought.  Freddos on Lygon win flat out.

 

By the end of the night, we were all filled and happy to go home.  But the only problem was public transport on a Sunday night is not a good good night :(!  Bloody trains were so infrequent and believe it or not, we took the wrong train ahah.  So in the end, what was meant to be a 20 minute trip ended up being a 90 minute journey xD!  Still a pleasant night and with the bill only costing us 88 bucks for 8 people, I have no complaints :D!!  An eating place for bargain hunters to keep in mind!!!

 

WenY