Nuffnang Ads

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bites: Mr Tulk @ Victoria State Library

Breakfast.  Whether it is a necessity or a growing trend, it has definitely  become increasingly popular over the years.  More and more creative chefs are coming out to invent their flavoursome dishes.  Its amazing how much they can come up with considering I myself have not done too much when I go to the kitchen and prepare breakfast .  It has always been kept simple for me.  Cereal with milk, big breakfast with tonnes of lard in the bacon, sausages and sautéed mushrooms or even sandwiches.  However I had something different when I came to Melbourne.  I went to a breakfast place where its chefs try to do breakfast like painting a Picasso.  The cafe is called Mr Tulk.  It is a highly esteemed place for having breakfast among bloggers and city dwellers alike.

IMG_7016The interior is aged.  I liked how it looks.  The mirror behind me was supported on books.  Some of it was tax law.  Can’t blame them cafe owners really.

 

I went there with Kelvin and Xin Ling after waking up wayyyy past our breakfast time.  We woke up at noon and only reached there at 1.  Luckily they still served breakfast.  We ordered a couple of ala carte dishes.

IMG_7023Xin Ling’s poached chicken with cos lettuce and herb mayonnaise baguette.

 

IMG_7024Kelvin’s flatbread with meatballs, cheese and sugo!  A definite winner.  Like chicken Parmagiana sandwich just got fused with IKEA meatballs but even better.

 

IMG_7029

My hash with corned beef with poached eggs served with a dash of mustard. 

 

IMG_7028No matter which way I try to take a picture of it.  It always look miserably small @.@!  But I must insists, as small as it is, quality triumphs over quantity.  I was super sceptical about the whole Dijonnaise mustard thingy but in the end its pungent+peppery flavour really blended well with the starchy hash.  And the eggs were well poached unlike my failed attempts.  The crisp batter along with its hot yummy inside was wohoooooooooooooooooooo when paired with some mustard!

IMG_7030Chicken and lentil soup.  This one was average and it killed my appetite for the evening.  The lentils had me filled to the brim @.@!  It tasted a bit like a Indian styled soup if you’d ask me.  Even Xin Ling and Kelvin felt that way too! Ok put it this way.  Imagine the bread as prata(roti canai) and the soup as dhal. X_X

 

IMG_7022Hot Choc for the soul.  And gawd that layer of froth is thick!

 

Over all the breakfast at Mr Tulk is pretty yums but Kelvin and Xin Ling thinks another place does it better.  Hope I have enough time to make to try the other place they mentioned!  But I have to say, this place is quite good if you have to grab a quick bite before heading off to do something else like err… shopping?

 

WenY