Nuffnang Ads

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Bites: Mart 130 @ St Kilda (Melbourne)

I’ve just gotten back from Melbourne two days ago.  After catching up with my friends and distributing most of the things I have brought back, I finally have time to update this space of mine in the sky.  I’m not really sure what I should post considering my options are aplenty.  But I think I will go with my final breakfast in Melbourne at Mart 130.  Mart 130 turns out to be highly recommended by newspapers and bloggers.  Most critics applauded the cafe owner’s smart move in turning this old tram station into a cool looking cafe while still being able to preserve its historic sentiments.  Getting to this place was a whole lot easier to get to I must insist.  Just head on over to Bourke St. and get on tram 96 heading towards St. Kilda and then get off at tram stop 130 the MiddlePark stop.  That is all you have to do.  Mart 130 is spelled in reverse of Tram 130 if you realise.  So simplistic yet so functional.  My name in reverse however, can probably only be used as a cover name in the Vietkong military :(!IMG_7306Table decor

 

Ok!  Enough talk more food! hehe!  To get our tummy started for the day, we indulged in hot drinks.  Xl and I opted for the hot chocolate:IMG_7293 See the froth and get weak on your knees.  This is the thickest froth I have ever had in Melbourne.  And oh god it was sooo satisfying!! I cannot help but mention how important this layer of froth is in hot drinks.  Been to places that serves hot drinks with an almost non-existent layer of froth and that really shows how passionate they are about being a barrister.  With no froth, it feels as if the milk came from a microwave.  Mart 130 serves the best classic hot chocolate in Melbourne.  For me at least! :D!!  Even Max Brenner’s creative Malteser copy cat is no match ahah.

 

IMG_7301My brekkie pick.  Corn fritters with crispy bacon streaks serve with drizzles of relish and a serve of sour cream.  Hope I got that right.  I’ll soon elaborate more about this very fancy looking piece of edible art.

 

IMG_7303lil girl’s poached eggs on sourdough with avocado mash and crispy bacon with hollandaise sauce.  I would have personally chosen this as my favourite after trying all the food we ordered.  The eggs felt slightly overcooked as the yolk did not turn out to be as runny as I would have preferred.  Bacon streaks were crisp and slightly charred, just the way I like it.  And amazingly this platter of eggs, mash, bacon and bread turned out to be a whole lot more filling that I thought it would be.  Lil girl was overloaded.

IMG_7304 Kelvin’s set was somewhat similar to XL with the exception of the avocado mash and bacon.  Instead, Kelvin had chorizos and olives cooked in what looked like an Italian herb tomato sauce.  The chorizos were yummy mummy but the olives were.. urgh @.@!   No olives thanks :D! 

 

I really think that any of those Mart 130 egg specials will be ok.  I particularly thought that Set #1 looked interesting served with spinach and mushrooms.  Mart 130 egg sets all cost the same at $16.90 each.   I do not see how any of these egg meals would end up in a disaster so I’d thoroughly recommend any of these to eggs lover or simply even if you are just a tummy left hungry. Ok time to get back on to my breakfast meal that I have yet to explained to you about.IMG_7301 Ok peeps, this is the supposedly yummy oven baked corn fritters that my good ol buddy Yobi told me about.  And really, it is not only him that I’m getting this input from.  Bloggers love this dish from Mart 130.  The reception for this dish has been particularly impressive on that day as well.  I saw most if not all tables of 3 or more having at least 1 of it.  But for me unfortunately, I did not see a dish that reflected what I liked.  Firstly having said fritters, I was expecting something more airy and crispy.  So crispy that I initially thought that an additional set of eggs and bread was needed to make me full.  But instead, these were more of corn cakes heavily loaded with flour and corn which equally congested my digestive system.  The taste of corn was not lacking in any way which is good for corn lovers.  I like corn in a way that is buttered and done up through a grill in any flavour.  Nandos is one that I enjoy thoroughly.  But this one here just did not make the mark.  Maybe next time just a little crispier?  I finished last in this breakfast race. :'(

 

WenY